Friday, May 13, 2011

Amy's Creative Bloggers' Online Quilt Festival:: Spring 2011

Hellooooo Amy's followers.
Below you will find my entry into this year's Bloggers Online Quilt Festival. Since this is my first entry, I am very excited.

The quilt is titled Mountain Mama's Garden. I've done several quilts focused on the hills of West Virginia; the earlier ones were wall hanging sizes, but I've wanted to do a big quilt using this theme for quite some time. Last fall, I took a class in crazy quilting and decided to try a crazy quilt landscape. And VOILA!



The Process
I love the effect of light caught in facets of space that is created by the crazy block form and the mix of color values. I enjoyed making this quilt. Piecing the blocks was exciting and I couldn't wait to finish that part. A few weeks before I began this quilt, I'd purchased some gold and silver thread at a yard sale that seemed perfect for hand quilting the sun and a few rays.

A closer view.

My sun center rather resembles a bird.  Hmmmm, maybe a phoenix.

 I debated back and forth between hand quilting and machine quilting. I have a fairly new Handi-quilter 16 and decided quilting this piece would give me more practice in using it. So I machine appliqued a few clouds in the sky and  echo quilted around them. Then, I quilted the hills, and lastly the flowers. The machine quilting went well until I got to the hills and changed threads. It seems the tension went haywire. It didn't return to normal  even stitching until after I'd finished that section and changed treads again.  I learned that I need the same kind of thread on the spool as in the bobbin for smooth quilting.   Each time I use my handi-quilter, I learn new things. My handi-quilter is the sit down model, with the table, so all quilting is hand guided.  As I am still learning to machine quilt, tips and suggestions are very welcome.


Mountain Mama's flower garden.


I am so happy blogger is back up and I can participate in this spring's Blogger's Online Quilt Festival.


Amy's Creative Side | Bloggers' Quilt Festival



17 comments:

  1. incredible! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! I really love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome quilt, love all the freeform piecing, gives the quilt a lot of texture and movement. And it looks great out in nature. Have you seen Flavin Glover's logcabin scenes, I think you'd like them.
    Come see my entries #211, repro cheddar orange stars and #215 antique 1850 applique flower garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilt. The seam lines really appeal to me. I love to tale pictures with repeating lines. Your colors and concept are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt; I've become a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally and absolutely wonderful quilt! Love the design, colors and fabrics. Wow. You havecdone an awesome job. Like Phoenix reference. Thanks so much for sharing and have a great dat

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful quilt! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am full of admiration for the work you have done on this quilt. Beautiful use of fabrics and colour. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness...exquisite work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, you created a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you have proved that it pays off to think big! Very pretty landscape quilt. And I recognize myself in the wish to try new ideas and techniques. That's the best way to learn! And thank you for your nice visit.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your lovely comment. Your quilt is gorgeous. I love all the broken colour and the sparkling sun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lADY! Anyone that can create a quilt this beautiful can do a tshirt quilt. I love landscape quilts. Yours is just breathtaking.
    Thanks for visiting my quilt. I will warn you that tshirts will try the patience of a saint. Mine are not as flat as I wanted them to be. I pinned, basted, ripped out,basted again pinned as I went in small sections, use clips to anchor. I mean we were only talking about 43 X43. I do not think it is possible to do a totally flat tshirt. Frame or no frame. I think it would sag some even with a frame. Good luck. We will talk again. I really love your quilt.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. So a lot of great work you have in your blog, I'm impressed with the art you create the fabric. Great blog, I will be happy to visit later and look at all the beautiful you make ..
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...